While I was rummaging through my purse the other day, I realized that I might have a little bit of a problem with lip makeup. In my quest to find the ultimate “natural, thrown-on lipcolor,” I’ve apparently taken to carrying around a giant array of lip balms, stains and sticks. (And let me please note that the purse I carry is not big. I try to keep the things I lug around to a minimum — the lip stuff being the obvious exception.)
So in the event that you like lip makeup, or maybe are searching for that perfect “neutral” lip, here’s a peek at what I carry around:
- Burt’s Bees Classic Beeswax Lip Balm: my go-to for all-day hydration. No color to this, obviously, but the first rule to a good pout is moisturized lips.
- Burt’s Bees Lip Shimmer in Rhubarb: I like this because it feels pretty much like chapstick, but gives you a bit of color (Rhubarb is sort of a pinky-mauve). You can throw this on without a mirror because the color isn’t very intense, but it also doesn’t last very long.
- Make Up For Ever lipstick in Artist Natural: I got this mini lipstick for free in a gift set from Sephora (I can’t remember if I cashed in some points or if it was part of their birthday pack one year). It’s a copper-pink color, which mimics most people’s natural lip hue. It’s a nice neutral to throw on, especially if you’re doing a more dramatic eye or punchy cheek color.
- Tarte LipSurgence Lip Tint in Dramatic: This was part of Tarte’s holiday makeup kit, so you can’t buy the color currently. It’s a nice pink with nude undertones, but sometimes I find it a bit too matte and so don’t wear it much. My other pet peeve is the cap tends to come off in my purse, so I’ve gotten pink lip tint all over the place multiple times now (what a pain!)
- Clinique Chubby Stick in Super Strawberry: I’ve talked about this product before, and continue to use it pretty religiously. This is one of the best “it’s like chapstick but better” items I’ve found. It feels like chapstick but adds just a hint of color to kind of wake up your face. I love that I don’t need a mirror to put it on (and love that I got it for free with my Sephora points even more!)
- Bite Lush Lip Tint in Raspberry: I actually bought this a long time ago, but recently resurrected it from the bottom of some purse I haven’t been carrying. This is one of my current favorites because of its bright berry hue, but I tend to dab it on over chapstick to make it a little less intense. The lip tint is really smooth and Bite products are made from natural ingredients, which makes them extra awesome in my book.
- Stila Long Wear Lip Color in Paramour: I think this item has been discontinued, which is too bad because it has some awesome staying power. I don’t wear this one a whole lot because I feel like it looks more “lipstick-y” than a lot of the others, but if I’m headed out to dinner and want lipcolor that will actually last through appetizers, this is a good one. I like the neutral shade but am not always in the mood for the matte finish.
- Nars Satin Lip Pencil in Rikugien: I just got this as my free birthday gift from Sephora (along with their matte lip pencil in Cruella) and it’s quickly become my current go-to lip color. It’s a neutral rose-pink shade and goes on super smooth without having that super-matte, lipstick look (which I absolutely love for bright shades, but don’t love for neutrals). The fact that it’s a pencil also makes it really easy to put on (even if you’re in the car with KC driving).