Here we are, on day 2 of the 3-day juice cleanse. And by “we,” I mean me, my taste buds, and my stomach (obviously). We’re all at odds currently; although, my taste buds and stomach are talking about teaming up soon.
Anyhoo, let’s start where we left off yesterday, shall we? Yes, let’s. So yesterday I was like, “Blah blah blah, I would totally cut out the Parsnip Pears and Celery Juice,” having not even drunk it yet. (Drank it yet? Pick whichever is correct and go with that. Mmk?) Well, after massively over-gingering the Carrot Apple Beet Ginger Lemon Juice (seriously, we can’t find a shorter name for that?), I couldn’t really handle drinking 16 oz of the spicy gingery stuff after basically attacking my body with cayenne pepper right beforehand. So in short, I didn’t finish either the Spicy Lemonade (or as I have renamed it, the Burn Your Skin Off, Kill Your Tastebuds and Take Away Your Will to Live Lemonade) or the Carrot Apple Beet Ginger Lemon (this one I have renamed the Carrot Apple Beet HOLY JESUS THAT’S GINGER Lemon ← not so much with the name shortening, though). I did, however, finish the Parsnip Pears and Celery Juice. It was like a lovely little vacation for my poor, abused taste buds.
Here’s a picture of the Beet Juice, by the way. I wasn’t kidding when I said it looks like you’re drinking a glass of blood (cue evil Dracula laugh):
Alright, back to the Parsnip Pears and Celery concoction. Yeah, so, it’s good. It’s basically as good as the Green Apple Juice, without having the funky smell. Then again, if you’re anti-pear, like KC is, this juice would not be for you because that’s basically all it tastes like. Ok, so furthering my juice reviews of yesterday, here are my thoughts:
- Spicy Lemonade: I didn’t finish this yesterday, cut it out today and will likely cut it out again tomorrow. I don’t see much of a point in it, and don’t relish the feeling of having cayenne pepper rubbed all over my tongue.
- Carrot Apple Beet Ginger Lemon: I didn’t finish this yesterday either, but may make more of an effort to drink it today. But, between the beet smell and ginger overload, I don’t know how far I’ll get. I guess I’ll have to see just how hungry I am.
- Parsnip Pears and Celery: Definitely seems satisfying around 2pm when I’m ready to eat my desk out of hunger. Probably the best smell + taste combo of all the juices.
- Cashew Nut Milk: Not “amaaaaazing” as some cleansers would have you believe; but it’s definitely drinkable and surprisingly satisfying as the last “meal” of the day. I thought for sure I’d go to bed with hunger pains last night, but the cashew milk actually did its job and made me feel full enough that I didn’t go raiding the fridge out of starvation last night.
Fun facts about the last 24 hours of cleansing:
- I actually worked out last night at Bar Method, and co-taught a class as well. I was curious to see how I’d fare working out after having only had juice all day. Somehow, I made it through without feeling faint or dizzy (though, I felt like didn’t have quite as much energy as usual and was maybe slightly crankier).
- Feeling hungrier today than yesterday. I’ve heard that the second day is the worst as far as this goes. Feeling ok at the moment, but we’ll see as the night progresses. I’ve still got a Bar Method class to take and one to teach tonight, sooo…
- Didn’t sleep very well last night (despite working a full day and fitting in a workout and teaching a class last night). Not sure if it’s a fluke, or if the cleanse is to blame.
- Definitely looking a little slimmer today, despite it having only been a day and a half. I’m blaming it on the loss of water weight.
Currently: Having a face-off with the Beet Juice (I should just call it Ginger Juice, since that seems to be the main ingredient in mine, but that sort of sounds like an insult directed at myself). Glad there’s less than a day and a half to go!